Popularity of sushi has brought rise in parasitic infections, warn doctors
Doctors have highlighted the need for awareness of anisakiasis, caused by the larvae of a worm found in contaminated undercooked or raw fish or seafood
From nigiri to temaki, sushi has boomed in popularity in the west, but now doctors are warning of a less appetizing trend: a rise in parasitic infections.
A team of doctors from Portugal raised concerns after a 32-year old man was admitted to hospital complaining of pain in his abdomen just below his ribs, vomiting and had a slight fever, all of which had lasted for a week.
An endoscopy soon revealed the culprit: the larvae of a type of parasitic worm from the genus Anisakis. The doctors note that the condition, known as anisakiasis, is caused by eating undercooked or raw fish or seafood that has been contaminated: indeed, questioning of the patient revealed that he had recently eaten sushi.
After the larva was removed the man rapidly recovered, say the medics.